Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bad Boys, Bad Boys

What ya gonna do? What ya gonna do when they come for you?

Hopefully, they will just let the officer arrest them like they are supposed to do and not behave like the loser scumbag who almost killed a friend of mine yesterday attempting to avoid arrest.

My police officer friend spotted the getaway car from a bank robbery that had just happened in another nearby Chicago suburb. After a high speed pursuit, the bad boy stopped his vehicle in a freakin’ residential neighborhood, got out and opened fire at my friend, the police officer.

The squad car was hit several times and (thank God!), the bullet that did hit my friend was absorbed by his bullet proof vest saving him from a serious or probably even fatal injury. He was able to return fire and bad boy was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

Not surprising. When police officers shoot, they are trained to shoot to kill. They don’t shoot at kneecaps or attempt to shoot guns out of bad guy’s hands or anything else you see on TV. Unlike Starsky and Hutch, they also don’t fire warning shots into the air. What goes up must come down, my friends.

There’s been no official comment on “bad boy's” previous criminal record, but I bet my booties there’s a doozy of a history there.

People who will shoot at cops rank towards the lower of my scum measuring stick and if they end up face first on the sidewalk, well, then so be it, because my husband and all friends in blue are going home.

There was a time I wanted to be a cop. I studied and worked my butt off in college and started at this very same department involved in the shooting yesterday right afterward. Initially, I was hired as a Community Service Officer and shortly thereafter, moved into the Dispatch 911 Center and tested for the next open Police Officer spot.

Ridealongs were mandatory as part of the Dispatch training. Most of those hired straight into dispatch didn’t have full street knowledge of the area and having visuals of the areas relating to calls really helps when trying to get information out of 911 callers.

Having been a Community Service Officer, I really didn’t need the ridealongs as I had spent all of my time in that position out on the street, but it was required and I loved to go! It was always thrilling to me.

Until....I was out on a ridealong with my hubby one time. We responded to a call of a suspicious auto in an alley and when we entered the alley, the numbskull idiot scumbag loser driver started pointing a weapon out the window.

Sometimes things happen in a split second and then you know right then that something is perhaps not for you.

We both saw the gun at the same time. My husband was out of the car, gun drawn and screaming at the “mf-er” to drop the gun before he dropped him.

Me? My first instinct was to kind of duck. In fact, my hubby was out of the car before I even thought of ducking.

I will be honest. Guns scare the crapola out of me, particularly when I’m not the one holding them. I just didn’t realize how much they scared me until that moment. Police Officer was not the job for me.

Fortunately, it wasn’t a real gun and the scummy loser dropped it out the window. I never went on a ridealong again.

I admire my friend tremendously for his incredibly brave actions yesterday. That had to be nothing short of horrific and even under those circumstances, taking someone’s life has to carry a huge emotional toll.

I can’t tell you his name because it’s not being released, but whether you pray, cross your fingers, wish on stars or whatever, let’s all say one for all the guys and gals who not only put on all sorts of uniforms everyday, but put their lives on the line to protect ours.

We don’t do it often enough.

3 comments:

Jessica Morris said...

wow! I am so glad your friend is ok!

Crystal said...

Oh my, how scary!! I'm glad the men in uniform all came home.

Anonymous said...

Linda of AreWeThereYet will be delighted to hear that the good guys came home for a change.