I think the only one who has had a more disappointing week than I’ve had is Britney Spears. No big surprise there, right?
You all know I love Bon Jovi, but I also have a similar enchantment with the crooner Barry Manilow. The reason I am disappointed is because I desperately wanted to see Barry Manilow in concert this Saturday, but I couldn’t find anyone willing to go with me.
Sad, right? (not that I want to see him. It’s sad that no one will go with me!)
I asked my friends. Nope.
I asked my sister (who I think OWES me because I went to see Donny Osmond with her). She said she’s busy. Too busy to see Barry Manilow?
I begged my wonderful husband and even he said no. He said he’s already served his Barry sentence.
Maybe so. He surprised me with tickets once after our son was born. Barry Manilow strikes a chord within me and I cried during the entire three hour concert. Come to think of it, so did my hubby but it was probably for different reasons.
Desperate, I begged my kids to go with me! They refused, so I announced that I would go alone. Between bursts of laughter, my kids told me that there was nothing lamer than going to a Barry Manilow concert by myself.
I disagree, but I decided not to go. I was SOOOO upset that I couldn’t even come up with a Thursday Thirteen! I need to thank my very creative friend, The Big BahUna, who helped me out (ok, he wrote most of it) so that I could move past the “Can’t Smile Without You, Barry” phase.
Today is Thursday Thirteen.....and here's mine...
1. Listening to a Manilow CD by myself on a Saturday night dressed up with feathers in my hair and my dress cut down to there. Hey, I’ve always like the name Lola.
2. Believing that somewhere down the road, our roads are gonna cross again WITHOUT me buying a $200 ticket.
3. Experiencing confusion because with the price of Barry’s tickets, you’d think he could afford an umbrella to help him make it through the rain.
4. Trying to convince myself that Barry HAS been alive forever.
5. Researching if he really did write the very first song.
6. Feeling overwhelmed with pride because Barry Manilow wrote the jingle for the insurance company that I work for!
7. Writing letters to the makers of Viagra to dump the current “Viva Viagra!” commercials and use Barry’s “Trying To Get The Feeling Again” song as their jingle instead.
8. Wondering why Barry just doesn’t find himself a nice girl and settle down and actually making a list of single friends I could set him up with.
9. Pouring through Wikipedia to find out if Mandy was a actually a real person like “My Sharona!” or just Barry’s Manilow’s dog.
10. Deciding that Barry’s Weekend in New England was probably a three day weekend. No two day weekend could be that wonderful.
11. Using my Toys R Us CSI kit to try to solve the mystery of “just who shot who?” at the Copa!
12. I can’t help it but I feel sad, when he’s sad. I feel glad when he’s glad. Is that weird?
13. Referring to myself as a FANILOW! (ok, I really do this!) Comment on fellow Fanilows! I know you're out there!