My name is Jessica The Rock Chick and I have a confession to make. I’m in love with my 24” iMac. That’s right. One week with my new iMac and I've realized my longtime relationship with PC just won't work for me anymore.
I am probably cheating a bit by running dual operating systems. More like cheaping I suppose than cheating. The computer itself was pretty expensive and if I had to replace all of my Windows version software, I wouldn’t be able to afford the electricity required to operate the computer. (And, ok, my favorite online poker site isn’t Mac compatible.)
Today is Thursday Thirteen and here’s mine...
1. It just looks cooler. 24” inches of widescreen coolness packed into a sleek one piece high powered system. It doesn’t hang up, it doesn’t crash and all of the icons are at the bottom of the screen. You can actually get to them without minimizing everything you are working on!
2. It’s all wireless. Mouse. Keyboard. Internet. Only one power cord and that’s it.
3. I plug in any USB cable and OMG...it recognizes whatever it is and it actually works immediately. No drivers, no downloads. No rebooting.
4. The built in speakers and video display are awesome! I’m not much of a gamer, but my Sims family is quite happy with their new non-crashing lifestyles.
5. Photo Booth. This little piece of software has given us much amusement over the past couple of days. A click of a button and 3-2-1 you have a Photo Booth style picture right from the built in camera, cheesy faces and all.
6. GarageBand. And my keyboard....a totally rockin’ 61 key electric piano keyboard! I plug it in, select an instrument sound and accompaniment and I am not only The Rock Chick, I am my own rock band. Bon Jovi, here I come!
7. iMovie. WOW! I had never done any video editing before and within a week, not only do I have several totally grandparent-giftable DVDs of the kids, I actually made a music video for a band! I was Employee of the Month for the band before making the video. Imagine the possibilities now!
8. iPhoto. Do you know how wonderful it is to push a button on your camera and all of your pictures just automatically go to your computer in a nicely dated folder?
9. iTunes and iPod. I was probably the only iPodless Rock Chick in the world, but most of my music was Windows based. Trying to get that music onto my MP3 player was just a hassle so I never really used it. I got my CDs now in iTunes, plugged in the iPod and it worked. My iPod even plays my new video masterpieces and my GarageBand creations.
10. Parallels. Its allowing me to run OS X and Windows simultaneously so I don’t have to replace my Adobe and Macromedia Software Suites. I suppose in a way it’s like a Windows nicotine patch or something. I admit, I am suffering a bit from right-click withdrawal.
11. No viruses. That’s right. No more updates, no more scans, no more worries.
12. iWeb and .mac- I do web design and initially I thought this software would be too simplistic and I probably wouldn’t use it. Not true. Everything you make in the iLife suite of software (included on the Mac) works seamlessly together. I was able to post videos and music in a well presented manner in a matter of minutes. Unbelievable. I haven’t even tried the podcasts or the blogging features yet!
13. It just works. The computer works, the software works, the peripherals work and now I can work at making some pretty fantastic stuff instead of trying to get my computer work.
I’m sorry PC, but I’m a one computer gal. It was fun while it lasted but I don’t think we can work it out.
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants