Tuesday, December 26, 2006

My Hips Don't Lie...

They hurt! I got many fabulous gifts this weekend but the one I am most excited about is.....belly dancing lessons! I received a "do-it-yourself" kind of training kit complete with book, DVD, finger cymbals and belly button jewelry! That's the warm-up..I start the actual lessons on January 15th! I love music of all kinds and I love to dance; it makes me happy. I've been wanting to learn to belly dance since college, but never got around to it... probably because after 4 babies and 13 abdominal surgeries, my days of wearing tummy revealing clothing are over. I think I'm going to need way more body jewelry than just a belly button sticker to do this in public.


I had a busy weekend hosting both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. My mother's side of family is of German descent. Even though they've been here for generations and we've completely morphed into baseball, hot dog and apple pie Americans, we have maintained the Germanic custom of exchanging gifts on Christmas Eve night. I didn't even realize this was a custom until my mother-in-law (who was born in Germany) told me. I always figured my parents weren't morning people and didn't want us waking them up at the crack of dawn. Since I have inherited my parent's night owl genes, I have no intention of ever changing this practice especially since we serve my mother-in-law's punch on Christmas Eve. All of the ingredients are alcohol except for the 2 cans of pineapples you throw in for nutritional value.

After recovering from the loaded punch and much to my children's dismay, I tried Belly Dancing lesson #1 yesterday before party #2. It is much more difficult than I imagined. It's a good thing I don't have self-esteem issues because there is a little you can do that is acceptable when you have three teenage daughters in the house. Fortunately, my son doesn't seem as bothered by anything I do. One day, they will be thankful they had a belly dancing rock chick as a mother, I just know it.

Merry Christmas! I hope that Santa was good to everyone!

No comments: