Monday, September 11, 2006

God Bless The USA

I’m watching the news coverage of the 5th anniversary of the September 11th attacks. Like everyone else in the country, I will never forget the horror of that day. The images are embedded in my head and when I watch them again today it seems as though I just saw them yesterday.

The following days and weeks brought some images I will never forget, either. The photo of the three firemen placing the American flag in the rubble, in my opinion, depicts the true American spirit. I remember seeing news coverage of replacement fire department equipment arriving in New York. The image of a brand new fire truck from New Orleans carrying the American flag still brings tears to my eyes.

I do believe that prior to September 11, 2001, I took freedom for granted. I don’t think I truly appreciated what it meant. I certainly don’t any more. I could recite the “Pledge of Allegiance” and say the words to “The Star Spangled Banner”, but I never realized how beautiful and true the words were until that happened.

Today I am crying for all the people who gave their lives and all of the people that loved them. Tomorrow I will smile because even though I am a lot of things, I am an American and couldn’t be more proud.


God Bless The USA.

No comments: