Monday, November 17, 2008

Eye Can See Clearly Now

Ok, it’s not me, it’s Little Daughter. She can see clearly now!

It seems, with everything that’s been going on around here, I’ve spent the better part of the year in doctor’s offices, hospitals and waiting rooms. Today was no exception, but I am pleased to say that the doctors we’ve been encountering lately have been wonderful and have been restoring my faith in the medical community. I didn't think this was possible.

Little Daughter has been complaining of headaches for a long time. She does get migraines, but these are different. She always passed her vision test with flying colors and the doctors could never find a reason other than simple stress and anxiety. (We do have a lot of that going on here.)

All of a sudden though, Little Daughter complained that she can’t see the chalkboard at school. Again, I took her for a vision test and again, she was 20/20, but this time the optometrist we met with wanted us to see an opthamologist because he was suspicious that she had something called “latent hyperopia” (farsightedness) and she would need special drops to paralyze the focusing muscles in her eye or something like that. This way, she wouldn’t be able to do whatever she was doing to correct her own vision and the farsightedness would be revealed. It was true!

Little Daughter is extremely farsighted and she also did need a very mild correction for farther away as well, so the doctor prescribed bifocals for her. This vision problem didn’t appear to just start either. She’s 14 and in hindsight, I think it’s always been this way, but she’s always passed her vision tests at 20/20. Very bizzare, but she can now see all obstacles in her way!

I had never heard of hidden prescriptions before, but of course if they exist, they’d happen to one of my kids. It’s just the kind of luck we seem to have.

Now if we can just get Middle Daughter fully recovered, my back fixed and my husband’s dizzy spells gone, we’ll be all set.

Sigh. I’m hoping for a bight, sunshiny day. Very soon.

4 comments:

Dustin said...

The sun will come out tomorrow.
Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow
there'll be sun.
Just thinkin' about tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow
Til there's none
When I'm stuck with a day that's gray and lonely
I just stick out my chin and grin and say....OHHHHHH...

Who am I kidding? Life's not a musical...but the song will now be stuck in your head for days and maybe, JUST MAYBE singing the positive words of Annie will brighten your day! lol

Anonymous said...

If Dustin can quote Annie, I can quote the Young Rascals (that's how old I am...I was a fan of them before they got old and became the Rascals)
"It's a beautiful mornin' ahhh
I think I'll go outside a while
An jus' smile
Just take in some clean fresh air boy
Ain't no sense in stayin' inside
If the weather's fine an' you got the time
It's your chance to wake up and plan another brand new day
Either way
It's a beautiful mornin' ahhh"

Hope things get better soon.

Malcolm said...

The trials that you and your family have been going through remind me of the title of the 1966 novel by Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me". One thing I have to applaud you for is that when you post about some of the bad luck your family has had, you don't write with a "woe is me/us" attitude. I think the optimistic outlook that you have is a must.

Crystal said...

I've never heard of that either! Interesting.