Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lost

Yesterday I watched one of my neighbors pack up the minivan, preparing to take their youngest off to college. Tears streamed down his cheeks as he crammed box after box into the back.

My other neighbor leaves for college tomorrow. He’s like one of my own and I’m already missing him terribly even though he’s still right across the street.

My own “baby” turned thirteen yesterday. As I watched my neighbor pack up his baby and remembered how I cried when he went to Kindergarten. All four kids were in school and I didn’t even know what to do with myself. Next fall it will be my oldest going to college.

A blink ago, all of these kids were riding in wagons, skinning their knees and crying over dropped popsicles on the sidewalk.

Where did those little kids go? Where did the time go?

I’m feeling very lost lately.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watching them grow up is bitter sweet. We packed Eric's youngest off to college this weekend. It sure is quiet around here! But, I have a new closet!

Anonymous said...

there's always darkness before the dawn. I am sure I will be sad when my babies leave home.

The Rock Chick said...

Shelly: Oh I need a new closet!!! Mine aren't going anywhere for a while. Have to remember to enjoy every minute. (If you can really enjoy 4 teenagers! LOL)

Damien: that darkness before the dawn is one of my fave sayings! It's very true.

pjazzypar said...

Time waits for no one. You could think of it like this...the sooner they are off to college and on to establishing their place in the world, the sooner you'll have grandchildren. If that makes you feel any better.