Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Why Won't The World Stop

Annoying the crap out of me?

Last week I had to write an almost $2,000.00 check to my dentist. You’d think he’d be happy to have earned such a windfall, but instead, he kind of yelled at me.

He said that it was all due to stress and that I need to find a way to relax. I would have to agree. And, of course, I’m stressed because I had to write a $2,000.00 check to the dentist! $2,000.00 is a lot of Bon Jovi tickets!

The problem is that I just can’t seem to find anything that works! It seems like every time I try to do something, it’s getting interrupted by the very annoyances I’m trying to escape!

I declared this past Sunday to be “my day”. I wasn’t going to do anything except things that I liked to do.. listen to music, play my keyboard, write, read, nap and eat chocolate licorice. That's right. A whole pound of it!

I didn’t expect a whole day, but maybe an hour? I don’t think that’s asking too much.

Did the world even give me an hour? No. One daughter awoke with broken blood vessels in her eye which looked so God awful frightening that I took her to the ER. My favorite ER doctor (that ought to tell you something right there), Dr. Becky, said it just looks gross but not to worry.

Phew!

On our trip back home, I got a call from another daughter who was at work. She hurt her knee and would need a trip to the ER, a knee brace and some crutches, but she’ll be fine.

Phew again!

That is three out of four kids that have been on crutches since January of this year. At least I’ll have an interesting theme for my end of year scrapbook, right? I can decorate it with band-aids or something. Cheaper than stickers from the scrapbook store!

Dr. Becky laughed when we got back to the ER. I didn’t think it was funny at all.

Yesterday, everyone I came in contact with seemed wild and cranky. Which, of course, made me wild and cranky.

I was so stressed out that the hubby and I decided to forego an hour’s sleep just to hang outside, talk and hangout for a while. It’s been so nice and since I’ve been driving around in a stinky minivan, we thought the fresh air and some time spent together would do us both some good in the mood improvement department.

The minute we had our butts planted in the chairs, one of his friggin’ servers at work went out causing a slew of phone calls and text messages that he had to answer because he’s on call 24 freakin’ hours a day! He had to spend more than our alloted hour fixing, rebooting and straightening everything out.

And he’s got a big upgrade to do this weekend, so he’ll be working and there won’t be any time for downtime.

When I can’t find the humor and irony in things, I know headed for trouble. I have got to find a way to kick Murphy and his laws out of my house, but I don’t even know where to start.

Maybe a list is in order! One thing at a time. Any other suggestions?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish I did have some answers....seems everyone I've had to deal with since late Sunday has been a major crab.
Makes life even more stressful.
Just remember take it one minute at a time if yoo need to.
Come stare at some Johnny Depp pics at my blog today :)

Crystal said...

It's no wonder you're stressed! I haven't found a way to calm down either, though panic disorder will sort of do that to you.

I understand how annoying it is when your husband is on call 24/7. That gets really old. Interrupted dinners, weekends, etc etc ETC.

JAM said...

Nothing you can do about the kids except wait for them to grow up and get out on their own.

But I would suggest, if possible, you find yourself a good book since you love to read, and go with your husband this weekend when he goes to work. Find a place out of the way (his office or cubicle?), find a chair and read. Turn off your cell phone, pager and other ball and chains, and tell you husband to come visit you when he gets breaks, and lunch too. Since few will know you, just keep your back to the door/cubicle opening, and most folks will leave the stranger alone.

It's not a whole day in your PJs in bed with chocolate licorice and a book, but a reasonably comfy chair and the book and the occasional visit by your husband should be a decent substitute.

Hopefully he doesn't work in a place like where I work, and cannot bring in visitors.

Oh! Don't forget your Ipod.

If that's not feasible, try going and sitting where you work, or the library, or one of the great chairs at the closest Barnes & Noble. Again, no cell phone or pager. The library would be my first second choice.

Sorry that things have been so grim for you lately.

Malcolm said...

I am fresh out of ideas. My only excuse is that it's almost 11:00 PM.

You mentioned that you had planned to play your keyboard. How long have you been playing? Also, what are some of the songs that you know how to play?

Anonymous said...

Remember that Sting song: "How fragile we are."

That helps me when life is insane, I guard my heart and my inner peace because people can and do lose it. I don't want to be one of those people!

Jessica Morris said...

If you're going to read a book check out Jodi Picoult. I think she's a great author! I don't know your book style, but it's scary the things we have in common, so I feel safe suggesting her :) haha

$2,000 to the dentist would leave me stressed too!! Ouch! Bath and Body Works has candles B1G1 - they are reg $19.50, so you'll be spending a bit, but they are SOOO nicely scented. There are lots of nice summery scents, or 'Cinnamon & Cloves' is a favorite here :) Maybe smelling something nice would help relax you?!

Anonymous said...

Girl, if anybody tells you a way how to handle stress, you must tell me immediately. For you, the stress tells in your jaw and your teeth...for me, I just come down sick. Lordy, there's gotta be a way out of this!
Hope things get better and you get some face time with your spousal unit and some free time for you (and your licorice)