Friday, April 18, 2008

Shake, Rattle and Roll!

My goodness! We started the week off in Chicago with a wild cougar roaming residential streets and this morning, there was a 5.4 earthquake in southern Illinois, but the shockwaves were felt in the Chicago area and suburbs.

They’ve even had to temporarily shut down the expressway entrance near my house because there was damage to the bridge. Of course, I slept through it. I never sleep and the one night that I do, look what happens!

Still, I have to wonder if it was actually an earthquake or if the people of the world heard that finally, Murphy and his laws may have moved out of Rockchickland! Let me explain.

First of all, today is Little Daughter’s (Erica!) 14th birthday! 14 is really hard to believe for me. When I close my eyes, I still think of her looking like this...



Awwwww! Isn't she the cutest thing ever? Yesterday, when she played the role of Jennifer The Valley Girl in her school musical “S’Cool”, she looked like this! It can’t be!



Although, as you will see in this next video, the hairdo is somewhat familiar :) This is a song called “Lunchtime”. Erica is second to the left in the front next to the girl who drops her lunch tray. You never know what will happen in live theater, people! The show must go on! Shake it up, baby!



Speaking of the show going on, we received word yesterday that Middle Daughter (Sam) has been offered a full scholarship to participate in a very cool Fine Arts Camp this summer in Michigan! As you know, Sam plays quite a few instruments and really has a gift for music. And I’m not just saying that because I’m her mom, it’s really true! I can’t say I’m surprised because rockin’ her flute is totally how Sam rolls.

Here’s a little video I put together for last year’s blogathon. I only had the audio portion of Samantha playing a very difficult piccolo solo in “Stars and Stripes” so we added some pictures of all the kids performing at various times. It’s fun, check it out!



And that’s not the only big news...my son, Danny, is really quite athletic. He’s really good at soccer, gymnastic and wrestling and now he is showing great potential in track and field, as well.

This afternoon he has his first meet and he is competing in 5 events...he is the final runner during a relay, he is doing hurdles, some sprint or dash or something-not sure what it’s called, high jump and (bad mommy!), I can’t remember the other event!

Whatever it is, I’m sure he’ll rattle ‘em!

So was it an earthquake or were the people in the area were just all jumping up and down for joy with all the good news? Doesn’t matter! I know that I am!

WOO HOO!

7 comments:

Crystal said...

Very cool! :)

Dustin said...

Wow, you have quite an active family!

As for the earthquake...I think that was a lesson to the Chicago area...don't let Rock Chick sleep...if she does, bad things happen!

I'll bet somehow you were asleep when the cougar thing started too...even if it was discovered while you were awake.

pjazzypar said...

Earthquakes are no joke! I lived in Southern California for 16 years, so I know first hand how scary they can be. You have some great kids. It is wonderful that they have healthy interest and aspirations. It says a lot about their upbringing and the way they are parented.

Jessica Morris said...

Aww - cool!! Congrats on everything going on with your kids!! You must be so proud :)

The Rock Chick said...

crystal: yes it is!!! Nice to have good stuff to report once in a while!

dustin: yes, they wear me out at times, but I wouldn't have it any other way. You know, I was napping when they shot the cougar. That's it. I need some NoDoze!

pjazzy: I actually slept thru the earthquake. Didn't even know about it until I woke up and they said so on the news. That's probably a good thing, because I would have been freaking!!! Thanks for the compliment :) I try!

Jessica: I'm proud of all four of them! They're so different, but they are all so amazing!

JAM said...

You really do have some great kids.

Too bad so much of your money goes to the local emergency room instead of more pleasant things.

Malcolm said...

Last week when I read the story about the earthquake in IL, I was like, "Earthquake, in IL?!" I overheard one of my co-workers say that she felt the tremors. I don't know exactly where she lives, but I believe it's in the Ann Arbor area.

Thanks for sharing those videos... you have some very talented kids. When you mentioned last year's blogathon, I remembered that was the week that I first found your blog. Man, that was almost a year ago!