Monday, May 7, 2007

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

I know it’s spring and technically “rainy season” (or what we insurance people like to refer to as "sewer back up season") but lately, for me, it’s been raining cats and dogs.

Even worse, I seem to have misplaced my hypothetical big enough umbrella that usually protects me from all the crap that usually accompanies these critters.

After spending far too much time in this turd storm, I recently found myself on the edge and pretty much ready to jump off the proverbial cliff. Actually, I think it was the “cliff” that pushed me to the edge with an attempt to pee on my head and make me believe that it was just more rain. Whatever. I was probably making a mountain out of a molehill, but it was the straw the broke the camel’s back. I was officially now down in the dumps.

The only way to hide these dumps, for me, is to be in a pool. Chlorine turns my eyes red and water is wet so I can get away with a few crocodile tears here and there and still be out in public. Besides, I always like to show off my talents and I am an excellent floatist. (Maybe it’s floater? After working in a police department, the word “floater” has an entirely different meaning to me.)

Let’s just say that I float well and leave it at that.

AND THEY’RE OFF! Since I wasn’t gonna to stop the rain by complaining, I packed up the family and we went to a Sheraton hotel nearby my house (and right next door to one of my other favorite places..the race track!) for the weekend. This hotel has an enormous indoor water park attached to it. I’ve been wanting to go there since it opened.

I told the rugrats that come hell or high water, we were all having a good time or else they might end up with a mother who doesn’t have both oars in the water. I think they already thought I went off the deep end, but hey, the cure was a family trip to the water park. Things could be worse.

It’s hard to find something that everyone in the family likes to do, but this place was it. When I first looked in the doors I was doubting my decision because everywhere I looked there appeared pool peeing (or worse) aged little kids. Fortunately, my kids are past that stage. (at least I hope so.) Oh well, I figured we were there already and there was probably a shitload of chlorine in the water, too. The perfect cover for my already red eyes.

Turned out there were plenty of big kid areas hidden within that water park. Lots of super fast (and, if you choose, super dark) water slides that actually went outside the building and landed you back inside at the bottom. La familia Rock Chick spent two fun-filled days sliding, swimming, hot tubbing and lazy river rafting in Key West, Illinois. It might have been fake Florida, but it was 100% genuine heaven to me. I would love to do it all over again!

Pretty soon my tears disappeared like a burp in a hurricane and I was more than able to keep my head above water. We laughed, we played and I’m once again looking at the world through my rose colored glasses. Yes, they’re still a little bit smudgy, but I know I can handle whatever comes my way...rain or shine.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

you sound like such a fun & exciting mum! yes, i said mum! ;)